Catalogue of the old masters gallery at the Christian Museum in EsztergomИздательство - Corvina Press
The Museum of Fine Arts was opened in 1906, so it is only comparatively recently that the works assembled there have been brought together. Some of the collections from which they came, however, have a history which can be traced for several centuries, and the antecedents of the Museum are closely linked to the development of art collections in Hungary.
The decision to devote a separate volume to one of the departments of the National Museum is justified by the long history and great cultural, artistic, and patriotic importance of the Czartoryski collection, which formed an independent institution until 1950. This oldest Polish museum was founded at Putawy in 1801 and refounded in Cracow in 1876, three years earlier than the National Museum. It is for this reason that the second volume appears before the first one. Its publication nearly coincides with the hundredth anniversary of the foundation of the Czartoryski Museum in Cracow. The publication of the first volume of the album will celebrate the hundredth anniversary of the foundation of the National Museum. The catalogue of selected objects is preceded by an introduction which recalls to the reader the history of the Czartoryski collection, intimately connected with the stormy history of post-partition Poland. The collection was intended to form a kind of national treasury of mementoes, a museum of European art and culture and also archives of important manuscripts and books. The selected items represent the main trends of the Czartoryski collectors and are divided into seven sections: 1. Painting, 2. Illuminated manuscripts, 3. Drawings, water-colours, prints, 4. Decorative Art, 5. Militaria, 6. Antiquities, 7. Library and Archives. Some of them are works and documents of the utmost value and historically the most important of all those to be found in Polish collections. It is the desire of the authors of the album not only to give the reader aesthetic pleasure but also to inspire his interest in history and encourage him to learn more about the story of Polish culture in the spirit of the Pulawy motto: "The Past to the Future".
The International Centre-Museum named after Nicholas Roerich (ICR) with a status of a public cultural enlightening centre was founded by the initiative of Svetoslav, the younger son of Helena and Nicholas Roerich. In 1990, Svetoslav Roerich transferred the invaluable heritage of his parents from India to Russia on the condition that a public Museum was to be established in Moscow. The management of the future Museum was entrusted to his good friend Lyudmila Shaposhnikova – a writer and specialist in Indian culture, who was appointed by Svetoslav as his trustee. Due to Shaposhnikova’s efforts and with support from the famous diplomat Yuli Vorontsov and sponsor Boris Bulochnik, Svetoslav’s will was fulfilled. The public Museum in Moscow became the second museum in the world founded by a member of the great family, the first one founded by Nicholas and Helena Roerich in New York.